- Apparel Industry
- 3rd Party Certification
- Environmental Certifications
- Social Responsibility (SR) Certifications
The Certified Humane Raised and Handled
The Certified Humane Raised and Handled® program is a certification and labeling program that is the only animal welfare label requiring the humane treatment of farm animals from birth through slaughter. The goal of the program is to improve the lives of farm animals by driving consumer demand for kinder and more responsible farm animal practices. When you see the Certified Humane Raised and Handled® label on a product you can be assured that the food products have come from facilities that meet precise, objective standards for farm animal treatment.
The Certified Humane Raised and Handled label assures consumers:
- That the producer meets our standards and applies them to animals from birth through slaughter.
- Animals have ample space, shelter and gentle handling to limit stress.
- Ample fresh water and a healthy diet of quality feed, without added antibiotics or hormones.
- Cages, crates and tie stalls are among the forbidden practices, and animals must be free to do what comes naturally.
For example, chickens are able to flap their wings and dust bathe, and pigs have the space to move around and root.Producers must comply with food safety and environmental regulations. Processors must comply with the American Meat Institute Standards (AMI), a higher standard for slaughtering farm animals than the federal Humane Slaughter Act.For an example of one of their standards, please see the following PDF that shows the Certified Humane standards and certification program in place for sheep here.
For more detailed information regarding their certification of other farm animals, please visit:
To Contact Certified Humane:
Please Call (703) 435-3883